Thursday, January 15, 2009

Martin Creed

Martin Creed - Work No. 786 - 2007 - 1/4" Plywood. I love art and I'm not a prude about it. I kind of buy into the whole 'it's art cos I say it's art' attitude. And I love plywood as much as the next man. No. Actually, more than the next man. In fact I have a slightly unhealthy obsession with the stuff. I used 1/4" ply (6mm to us) to cover my kitchen cupboards at my last place, with two sheets of 18 mil. ply laminated together to make the work surface. I've generally used 18 mil. ply (Latvian Birch Ply, to be precise) for more things than I maybe should have. The first birthday gift I gave my girlfriend 6 years ago, for her 21st birthday no less, was presented in a small box I made from 18 mil. ply. Now that had a snug fitting lid (she still has it today and I'm still in awe of it. And she's now my fiancé so something went right). With all that in mind, here's 's "Work No. 786". Is it art, or just a stack of ply. I'll leave you to scream in disagreement at one another, but also check "Work No. 571" from 2006, which is another stack of plywood (Martin's made a few). Or maybe "Work No. 600" from the same year, which looks terribly much like he's made a film of a girl having a poo.